Remember back here when I showed off our fancy ‘temporary’ paper shades? Welp, they are still there! I haven’t been ready to commit to anything yet and also haven’t been ready to part with the money to replace them with something legitimate. Although I’m really still not ready to commit nor am I ready to part with the moolah, the paper shades have got to go! So, I’m now pushing myself to make a decision in both our bedroom and the office. After a long session with my window treatment counselor earlier this week (a.k.a. my mother), I think I have my options narrowed down. Here are the considerations I have to take in this decision:
1) Privacy – Bedroom and office are at the front of the house
2) Curb Appeal – Need consistency for the windows that face the street
3) Usability – Need to be adjusted easily for daytime/nighttime/weekend use
4) (somewhat) Budget Friendly – duh (we planted lots of trees, but none of them are growing money, yet!)
Thoughts on Bedroom Windows:
Initially, I wanted to do a double rod with linen sheers topped with blackout drapes. This would provide us with privacy we need on a daily basis while allowing us to still see out a little bit and also allow for plenty of natural light. The two main deterrents for this plan are cost and also consistency with office window treatments for curb appeal reasons (read: I don’t want to do sheers in the office).
Thoughts on Office Windows:
The bedroom next to ours is currently serving as our office and hopefully will eventually be a nursery. I’d love to do something that could carry us through both purposes. My ideal in here would be some sort of linen roman shade with a trim detail. Same constraints here with needing consistency with other bedroom windows and budget constraints.
Here are some of my inspiration images for these rooms:
I have received quotes both for custom linen roman shades and privacy lined bamboo shades and both estimates had too many digits for my liking. So, with all of this in mind, I’m thinking the best option is probably to go with the unlined bamboo roman shades. After quite an extensive search, I have found some on overstock that are the right size, right price and look to be the right color. They only had one in stock (figures, haha) so I went ahead and ordered it to check the color. If all goes as planned, I’m going to go ahead and order them for the whole house! The price is reasonable enough that, if I plan to switch some out for something custom in a year or two, it won’t be the end of the world.
I do have a few plans to customize the bamboo shades and hopefully get a functional and lovely end result…
1) Add privacy lining to the back of the shades, if needed (hoping some gauzy linen fabric and hot glue will do the trick and nobody, but you, will be the wiser!)
2) Layer drapes (probably use these that I have for now) with the bamboo shades in the bedroom like these photos:
3) Eventually add a cornice board to the office like these:
Wish me luck that the overstock shades are the right color and that they decide to restock them!